Friday, May 14, 2010

FOODIES LOVE FRIDAY

By: Stacie Forrest


Okay so I am way off of my game-and I so apologize. Sometimes, life gets in the front seat and all the secondary stuff gets in the trunk. I promise to do my very best to make sure that I post at least weekly about what’s new and fabulous in food. So, without further ado-let me tell you about what I am loving this week.


THE GRILLED CHEESE COMPANY

The history of the grilled cheese sandwich is as long and storied as the country that we live in; and its history has made its way into the lives of billions of people. I recently read an article that claimed that grilled cheese sandwiches were making a comeback, which completely confused me because, I never knew it left. I can’t think of a time when I wasn’t in the mood for a gooey grilled cheese sandwich; two pieces of good hearty bread, slathered in butter with some of my favorite cheeses sandwiched between the two slices. Heaven! And what about the days when I’m ready to kick it up a notch? Thick sliced bacon or yummy Tuscan ham, portabella, maybe a slice of tomato to add to the Vermont cheddar, fontina or Land O Lakes American?
I am so smiling right now.

During award season, Wolfgang Puck served little grilled cheese sandwiches at the Vanity Fair soiree. At a recent party at the Tenjune club in the NYC, Kim, Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian munched on these little delights until the wee hours of the morning. Just last night, my 15 year old told me that he wanted grilled cheese and fries instead of the barbequed chicken, macaroni and cheese and green beans that I made. Feigning frustration-I had the same!!!

So my love for grilled cheese sandwiches was refreshed when I learned that a couple of gentlemen decided to set up a shop dedicated to the grilled cheese sandwich. The Grilled Cheese Company is housed in a small unassuming edifice in Catonsville and boy is it terrific! These guys have learned what works; we want it simple, we want it fast and we want it good and this joint aims to please on every level. Try their crabby melt, or the chicken cordon bleu or the wonderful portabella! I warn you that the seating and space is very limited…but don’t let that sway you. I am a believer that if the line is extended OUTSIDE THE DOOR, then there must be something going on behind that counter. I won’t stop until I have tried every last offering and even after that-I still won’t stop. And neither will you!





Vidalia

Vicky Johnson, resident Glami and event designer extraordinaire, recently whisked her hubby off for an adventure filled weekend to Panama – and he didn’t know a thing about it…how awesome is that??? But, before they left for parts unknown, Vicky took her main man to famed D.C. eatery Vidalia. Chef Jeffrey Buben’s contemporary American treasure is in the heart of downtown D.C. His concept has charmed the culinary enthusiasts with a simple but refined selection of course offerings that has kept this restaurant in the mainstream.

Earlier this year, Vidalia added the Vidalia 24 feature to the menu which Vicky dubs the “best buy in the Mid-Atlantic area because all of the drinks are included.” When describing her experience she used words like, “phenomenal” “amazing” “nothing like she’s ever experienced.” I would be remiss as a foodie to not give this spot honorable mention.

So intrigued with what she told me, I decided to take my research a bit further. I recently spoke with special events coordinator of Vidalia, Jacqueline Herrera, who told me that bookings are now over a month in advance and since this new concept took shape, Vidalia is experiencing a new surge in popularity.

Vidalia 24 is held on Friday and Saturday evenings and service starts promptly at 7:30 p.m. For $150 per person, you are served a whopping 24 eclectic courses, each paired with a suggested wine or spirit. There is very limited space and the restaurant will only take 8 reservations for each. Chef de Cuisine R.J. Cooper designs the meal just 24 hours prior; ensuring that each ingredient is the freshest, that the flavors are executed to the letter and that each plate exudes the confidence and style of the Vidalia brand.

Described by Vicky as a “Top Chef” experience; dishes are prepared and plated tableside with a brief description of the chef’s interpretation. Everyone has a chance to provide commentary on what they feel about each dish. Top Chef’s own Tom Collichio was in attendance as well as Paul Kahan, Owner and Executive Chef of Chicago eatery The Publican-so needless to say, wonderful food and insightful dialogue share the spotlight at Vidalia.

In a few weeks, I plan on making my way to Vidalia to experience this culinary delight myself. It appears that people from as far as Ohio are driving in for the Vidalia experience and I need to make sure that I can get in where I can fit in! I will definitely keep you posted.



Until next week, Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I can't WAIT to partake in the deliciousness of Vidalia... so when are we going?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There truly aren't enough words to describe the experience. Cozy yet dynamic. Never duplicated as each evening is a unique experience. Not for the faint of heart though, don't let the notion that a "taste" isn't filling. They will accommodate allergies and the like seamlessly. Leave your inhibitions toward food at home no picky eaters allowed. I personally promise you will enjoy everything from the caviar to the froie gras just let go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe I'm that person traveling in from Ohio - Colummbis, actually - and flying (not driving) :-) Tomorrow at 7:30 - report will be up in my blog once I'm back from DC and I'll likely be contributing it to my writeup of the DC area for Slow Foods.

    ReplyDelete